Sunday, January 6, 2013

Cotija


I just realized  how I wrote about me, about how I retook the task of writing the blog, and about my vacation. I completely failed to mention anything about Cotija. So in the spirit of blogging a lot this new year, I'll dedicate this entry to the town that gave this blog a name. 

Cotija de la Paz is located in Michoacán State in the south of México. It has approximately 12,000 habitants, and is the home of the famous Cotija Cheese. These cheese is responsible for putting Cotija on the map.

It is a quiet town, with amicable and religious people. They have a saying here: "Cotija es cuna de locos y santos". Which translates as "Cotija is a crib for crazies and saints". It is also known for being the birthplace of San Rafael Guízar y Valencia, and Marcial Maciel, founder of the Legionaries of Christ.

It is a small town, a town where everyone knows who you are. If not by name, at least they have seen you more than once. They locate de newcomers in a second. (I should know about that, since it happened to me.) And everyone says "hello" to anyone they see on the street.

The entertainment consists of going to the main square on sundays after mass and just walk around it. Girls walk in one direction, and guys walk in the other. Then, if a boy sees a girl he likes, he throws confetti at her head. One girl told me once "The prettiest girl in town, is the one that can't get the confetti of her head on the whole week". Different traditions. But traditions none the less.

I tried it one Sunday. It was funny, but I wouldn't do it again. Confetti is hard to get of your head.

On top of the confetti, I got rain. Needless to say, I wasn't happy.


There are a few bars (that close at 11 o'clock), some coffee shops, and some restaurants. But the other main form of entertainment occurs during the most important dates of each month. For example, in September 15-16 we celebrate Mexico's Independence. So, on those dates, different bands came to play, and we had fireworks. This occurs at least once every two months.








That said, I would also like to comment on the fact that on the side of the Main Temple in the Square, they sell the most amazing potato chips on the world. They make them right in the moment. And they are great for when you want to just seat, relax, watch other people get confetti on their hair. And maybe if it's a good date, watch the fireworks.

It is really worthy of a visit. Hopefully you won't miss it.

Love

Dany.







No comments:

Post a Comment